I. Banquet and Installation
A. Appoint banquet chairman
A person who is conscientious and responsible but who does not have other major duties should be solely responsible for banquet arrangements. The chairman should coordinate efforts with the advisor and president, as well as the ritual chairman and the installing officer from national.
B. Banquet checklist
l) Reserve banquet room. It should be large enough for seating initiates, installing chapter, and guests, with room among the tables for people to walk to the front. There should also be room for a head table, a podium and a table on which to place the Bond. If entertainment is to be scheduled, the necessary room for that should be considered.
2) Arrange for decorations for banquet room
(a) Tables where students sit
(b) Head table
(c) Candles and place cards placed at tables
3) Invitation list
(a) Every effort should be made to have representatives of the University administration attend the banquet. The President's Office and the Student Affairs Office especially should be invited as far in advance as possible so that administrators can plan around it.
(b) Student leaders from student government and other honor societies might be invited, depending on the budget available or the possibility that the students could pay for their own banquet.
(c) Parents of the initiates could be invited.
(d) Printed invitations may be ordered from the National Board secretary.
4) Banquet program
A program should be prepared to outline the events of the evening. This will be both a help to those who are present and a memento for the chapter historical files, so it should include a brief history of how the group was organized, a list of officers, and the agenda for the evening.
Arrange for a photographer to be present who knows how to get good coverage of a banquet event. (Sometimes University photographers are available.)
6) Banquet agenda
Suggested details of agenda:
· Guests seated in banquet room
· New members ushered in by installing chapter
· Representative of new chapter greets everyone and welcomes them to the campus. Introduce the head table.
· Welcome by Lambda Sigma National Representative and
greetings from the National Board. (read letter from the National President)
· Invocation (See Ritual section of this handbook.)
· Banquet (entertainment might take place during the banquet)
· Initiation of new members
· Installation of chapter
· Installation of officers
· National Representative recognizes key individuals who helped the chapter get started and thanks them. Thank the guests and installing chapter for coming and wish everyone a goodnight.
7) Minutes Book, Treasurer's Book, Chapter Notebook, Charter, Banner, Bond, Pins and Certificates will be used at the banquet so be sure they are available.
- Write up installation for Diamond. Send black and white picture for possible publication.
- Send copy of chapter history to National Board.
- Send thank you letters to installing chapter.
- Send notice to National Vice President of new chapter's officers and advisors, with addresses.